- boil all water, used for drinking purposes, for at least one (1) minute, at a rolling boil, prior to use;
- boil water to be used for other activities where it may be ingested, including:
- brushing teeth or soaking false teeth;
- washing fruits and vegetables;
- food or drink which will not be subsequently heated; and,
- ice cubes;
- Do not use the water for washing dishes, unless the water has been boiled or the dishes are sanitized in another fashion. Washed dishes and utensils can be soaked in a bleach water solution (approximately 2 tablespoons of bleach per gallon or 10 ml of bleach per liter of water) for at least two minutes after being washed to kill any bacteria which may be present. Note: Do not mix bleach with soaps or detergents.
- Do not drink from any public drinking fountains supplied with water from the public water supply;
- ensure that younger children and infants are sponge bathed;
- use an alternative water source known to be safe, if they do not wish to boil the water; and,
- consult with your physician if you have cuts or rashes that are severe before using the water.
The addresses affected will receive a “Red Door Knocker” with this information and will receive a “Green Door Knocker” once this advisory has been removed. Please call our office for more information if required.
We thank our Public Works crew for restoring this service so quickly, especially in this extreme cold situation.