Engineering, Planning and Development

The Engineering, Planning and Development Division oversees a variety of services intended to protect, maintain, and develop an attractive, safe, and healthy community. Primary functions address property development and land use activities occurring in the Town of Kindersley. Planning and Development provides direction and leadership in implementing the goals, objectives, and policies o f the Strategic Plan as adopted by Town Council. The Division is also responsible for the orderly development of the Town and the administration of various land use regulations, including the zoning code, design review ordinances, sign code, and the cultural resources preservation ordinance.

Getting Your Project Started

In order to help you get your development or construction project started and ensure you are obtaining all the required permits and documentation, view Steps to be Followed .

Building and Developing

Building and Development Permit applicants are encouraged to contact the Engineering, Planning and Development Department prior to formal application submission in order to clarify issues related to the processing of their application(s).

See also:

Development Permits

A development permit is required for most types of development in the Town of Kindersley. The permit ensures compliance with the Zoning Bylaw and approves the appearance, location, size and use of a building in any particular lot. Certain buildings and land uses are only allowed in certain areas of the Town in order to create comfortable residential environments, as well as prosperous business settings.

Building Permits

A building permit grants you legal permission to start construction with the knowledge that the submitted drawings comply with appropriate governmental regulations. In addition, the building permit provides the means to enforce the requirements of the National Building Code of Canada 2010 , the Town of Kindersley Building Bylaw 01-12 , as well as other laws and applicable standards to ensure compliance during construction as well as the safety of the building. A building permit shall not be issued unless a development permit, when required, has been granted first.

A building permit is required for the construction of a new building, an addition, or alteration of any building or structure, including but not limited to:

  • Building and building additions (i.e. new washroom, kitchen, bedroom, etc.)
  • Raised patios and decks measuring more than 0.6 metres in height above grade, projecting not more than 3.0 metres into the required rear yard
  • Attached or detached garages
  • Carports
  • Basement development
  • Sheds over 9.3 square metres
  • Renovations that involve significant structural, electrical, or mechanical changes

Applicants may have to contact one or more of the following departments and agencies to obtain specific information about other work that may need to be conducted outside of the scope of the development proposal. Examples: tree removal, applications for subdivision, line locates, utility service connections.

Agency Request Contact
Dept. Engineering, Planning, and Development development and building permits 306-463-2675
Public Works service connections and interruption of service 306-463-2675
Waste and Recycle Centre landfill information 306-463-2675
Fire Department fire and safety code issues, hazardous materials storage 306-463-2675
Ministry of Environment 306-787-2584
Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure highway commercial developments 306-933-8333
Ministry of Government Relations applications for subdivision 306-933-6937
SaskPower electrical power services 888-757-6937
SaskEnergy natural gas services 800-567-8899
SaskTel phone services 306-463-6055
Sask 1st Call line locates 866-828-4888
Information Services Corporation (ISC) land titles information, lot dimensions 866-275-4721
Access Communications cable, fibre-optic line locates 1-877-511-1601

*Please note that failure to obtain the necessary permits listed below may result in a fine, as per the Planning & Development Act, 2007, Section 243(1).

*Failure to comply with all conditions as set out in the Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act , specifically Section 22(1) , will result in fines.


Development permit decisions and conditions of approval can be appealed to the Kindersley Development Appeals Board (KDAB). Appeals are made by notifying the Secretary in writing to:
Town of Kindersley Development Appeals Board
C/O Gord Krismer & Associates Ltd.
2405 Gordon Rd.

Regina, SK
S4S 4M4

Appeals must be made within thirty (30) days of issue of the development permit notice of decision. A fee of $50 payable to the Town of Kindersley is required for every appeal.

Development Fees

Payment of development fees, where applicable, is required prior to the issuance of a development permit, in accordance with the bylaws of the Town of Kindersley. For more information on development fees, please contact the Engineering, Planning, and Development Department.

Forms, Applications, and Checklists

Basement Development Checklist.pdf

Building Permit Application.pdf (fillable)

Business Licence Application.pdf (fillable)

Checklist for Deck.pdf

Checklist for Detached Garage.pdf

Development Permit Application with Site Plan.pdf (fillable)

Fence Requirement.pdf

Home-Based Occupation Application.pdf (fillable)

Minor Variance Permit Application.pdf (fillable)

Municipal Infrastructure Services Application (fillable)

Occupancy Permit Application.pdf (fillable)

Preliminary Project Proposal.pdf (fillable)

Sign Permit Application.pdf fillable)

Site Plan Diagram.pdf (fillable)

Temporary Occupancy Permit Application.pdf (fillable)

Zoning Amendment Application.pdf (fillable)

Zoning Compliance Certificate Application.pdf (fillable) *please note, the Real Property Report (issued by any Saskatchewan land surveyor) must be submitted with this application.

Development Process and Permit Fee Schedule

Download the current Town of Kindersley Development and Building Permit Fee Schedule . Completed applications should be submitted to:

Town of Kindersley
Engineering, Planning and Development
106 5th Avenue East
Kindersley, SK S0L 1S0

Planning and Zoning

Zoning regulates land uses within Kindersley limits. Each parcel in the Town is assigned to a zone which describes the regulations under which that land may be used. The Zoning Bylaw 04-14 identifies allowable uses and sets standards such as minimum lot size, maximum building height, and minimum front yard depth.

In addition, developers must consult the Building bylaw and other maps available to the public in order to located underground infrastructure and other required infrastructure and services.

Official Community Plan Bylaw 03-14.pdf (13.12 MB)

Zoning Bylaw 04-14 (3.35 MB)

Planning and Development Act 2007.pdf

Municipalities Act.pdf

Infrastructure Standards

Standards and Specifications for Infrastructure

Intensity - Duration - Frequency (IDF Curve)

Rainfall Intensity-Duration-Frequency (IDF) data

Run-off Coefficients for Urban Areas

Snow Load data in Kindersley


  1. Zoning Map
  2. Topography and Storm Water Drainage
  3. Road Construction Map
  4. Water Main System and Materials Map
  5. Sanitary Sewer System and Materials Map
  6. Sanitary Sewer Inverts Map
  7. Wastewater Collection System
  8. Surface Features
  9. Storm Sewer System
  10. Topographic Survey Kindersley Regional Airport
  11. Truck Routes Map
  12. Snow Removal Map

Available Town Properties

Residential Lots

The Town of Kindersley does not currently have any available lots for sale. For information about available lots in the Brookhollow Estates residential development, visit .

Commercial Lots

The Town of Kindersley has a few commercial lots available for purchase. A development fee is also charged for each lot.

View Available Lots for Sale

View current Zoning Map

Development and Building Permit Fee Schedule

Real Estate

Other privately-owned land is also available throughout Kindersley. For current listings, contact any one of Kindersley's local real estate agencies:

Edge Realty
1000 Main Street
(306) 463-4515

RE/MAX Group West Realty
Kindersley Mall
(306) 463-6667

Royal Lepage Wheat Country Realty
1 West Road
(306) 463-1766

ACR Realty Inc.
603 Main Street, Kindersley
(306) 460-8064 (office)
(306) 834-2385 (cell)

Additional Resources:

Download this guide to the Municipal Planning Process In Saskatchewan